My mission was to Climb Denali with the highest degree of respect for the mountain, and most importantly our safety. The Summit was my goal, but the whole experience is what I couldn't wait for. On July 3rd 2012 (after 3 weeks of climbing) my team and I reached the summit of the highest point of North America and raised over $10 000 dollars for the Canadian Mental Health Association.
My vision was to use this expedition as a vessel to spread a message. I wanted to reach out to people all over Canada and make them understand that mental illness is a disease, and that preventative mental and physical care is crucial to a healthy body and mind.
Denali At Last has teamed up with the Canadian Mental Health Association to spread our message to people all over Canada. I have planned fundraiser events, public talks, media coverage and much more in order to achieve my vision. At Last Adventures has donated a page on their site completely devoted to this project, listing links to similar projects, and more importantly links to help lines.
1. Key Note Speaking: (on Mental Health): To Saugeen Secondary, Youth Summit @ OSCVI, Ontaro's Crisis Workers Conference, OSSTF "overcoming Obstacles in Education" Conference and much more.
2. Portaledge Sit Off: My goal here is to convince a radio station to let me set up a vertical camp on the wall of their building, and not come down in till I raise $1000.
3. Adventure Film Festival: After our expedition, I will put together a video and play it, with a combination of other outdoor adventure videos.
4. T-Shirt Sales: Stay tuned, we are waiting for any last minute sponsors to dontate in order to put their logo on our T-shirts.
5. Beard Shave Off: Carlin Val has not shaved since September 2011, and plans to continue growing his beard until after the expedition in June. Upon returning he will collect donations from people who can't take it any more (i.e. His Wife) and shave it off at an event.
6. Stair Climb Mall-athon: Here I will set up shop in the Inner City Mall of Owen Sound. Using a stair climber I will simulate the vertical gain of Denali on a stair climber, and use my presence to educate shoppers about mental health.
7. Much more to come: If you have an idea, or an event you would like us to come to please email us at email@example.com.
Dates to be determined soon
Donate to the Canadian Mental Health Association
Thank you to all of our Sponsors, Donators and the Canadian Mental Health Association for helping get this project off the ground.